Travel

14 January 2015

Memories of Pongal

Pongal for city-bred Tamilians like me is a three day holiday filled with wonderful food, non-stop watching TV debates and movies that are advertised as "india tholaikatchigalil mudal muraiyaaga" (roughly translates to first time in the history in Indian TV channels) and maybe catching up of new releases in theatre. 

Apart from these, I have special memories of eating Boli on Bogi (Boli is a flat bread sweetened with coconut and jaggery), planning elaborately for kolams that are drawn infront of my home, colouring them till late in the night along with neighbours, admiring our previous night's handwork on Pongal day.

Now after few years of corporate life, they all seem like a distant dream. There are no photographs, just memories. I no longer have a three-days vacation nor draw such kolams. Here on Pongal Eve, it upsets me that I am not even able to find my kolam notebook. I simply hope that the future is better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment