Travel

16 January 2015

A Tribute to BRO

Border Roads Organization (BRO) of India makes commutation in The Himalayas easy for locals and travellers alike. Landslides, rain, snowfall, avalanche, floods - nothing stops these brave men and women who dedicate their life's work so that people can move from one place to another. They have laid roads where I wouldn't dare to keep even a foot. It is only because of their relentless effort, be it opening of Rohtang/Zojila Pass to ensuring that they stay open during the peak season, I had the opportunity to fall in love with Himalayas. 

I am in love with Himalayas. She has charmed me, and she calls me every few months to see her. She doesn't realise I live 2000 km away from her and long vacations are hard to come by. 
God made Ladakh and BRO connects it to rest of the world... How True!!!
Often in The Himalayas, once you are past touristy destinations, you are left with wonderful silence, breathtaking sceneries, you hardly see any homes and see even fewer people. It is wilderness that leaves you alone with your thoughts. When you see a dot-sized-car climbing the mountain, you realise this mountain is just one small part of The Himalayan range and try to imagine its entire size. Then it hits you - even The Himalayas is a small part of our world, this mountain a smaller part of Himalayas, the car I travel is like a dot infront of this mountain and my car has four people in it. Suddenly you realise how tiny we are and how much smaller are the problems that we face. The learning experience from these travels is so immense, it makes a permanent impact on the way of your life. 
Road safety sign boards by BRO
It is on journeys like these on roads which are barely touched by humans, BRO extend their work by laying the path ahead for us to travel. And they do surely have a humour sense, for their milestones carry a message (mostly concerned with road safety) that leaves you smiling. I encountered numerous such boards in North Sikkim, but never took photographs of them. So on my next trip to Ladakh, I made it a mission to capture all BRO's messages. Here is my compilation of such boards for you to enjoy!
Above - Driving Risky After Whisky; Top Left - Better Late Than Never;
Top Right - Speed Thrills But Often Kills
Above - The mountains are pleasure if you drive with leasure; Top right - If married, divorce speed;
Top Left - If Married - Divorce Speed, If engaged - go steady, if single - watch for curves :) 
Top left - Be Gentle On my Curves; Top Right - Drive Like Hell and You will be There
Bottom Right - Got Brakes! Got License!; Bottom Left - If you spit, you will skid.
I thank BRO with all my heart. Without their constant maintenance of roads (or what could be called as roads) I wouldn't have been with my first love (The Himalayas) for a month or so. 
Hats off to you BRO!!

4 comments:

  1. Good one Lakshmi... You have got an amazing style of blogging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks Charanya :) I will keep you updated on my latest posts :)

      Delete
  2. The great blog about A Tribute to BRO. Thanks for sharing the blog, seems to be interesting and informative too. Could you help me to find out more details on Cruise Booking

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Tribute to BRO is a heartfelt expression of gratitude and respect. Brothers hold a special place in our hearts, and your tribute beautifully captures the bond and memories shared. games of thrones so popularFrom childhood adventures to lifelong support, brothers play an irreplaceable role in our lives. Your words reflect the deep connection and appreciation you have for your brother. This tribute is a touching reminder of the importance of family and the impact of brotherly love

    ReplyDelete