Travel

15 November 2010

Darjeeling & North Sikkim Trip

What we read as young children could shape our lives and change our perception. Looking back at my childhood, I realise that I was bitten by a travel bug after reading a textbook lesson on Darjeeling in Class X. The quest for seeing/experiencing new things slowly began. But it took years before I could visit Darjeeling. 

My initial Google searches took me to this wonderful website indiamike.com where like-minded travellers were helping each other plan trips. I read every thread on Darjeeling. The more I read, the more I was inclined to visit North Sikkim and Ladakh (which I did after a few years) than Darjeeling. So, the trip's focus shifted to North Sikkim with 2 days in Darjeeling. Living in Chennai, which almost roasts me daily with its hot sun, I decided to travel during winter to see snow and hence the trip was planned during November. 

P.S - I will write separate posts for each day of my trip and link them below for easy access. 

Day 4   – Gangtok – Local sight seeing
Day 5   – Gangtok – Nathulla Pass – Tsongmo Lake – Gangtok
Day 6   – Gangtok – Lachen
Day 7   – Lachen – Gurudongmor Lake – Lachung
Day 8   – Lachung – Zero point – Yumthang – Lachung – Gangtok
Day 9   – Gangtok – NJP junction – Howrah
Day 10 – Calcutta – Local sight seeing
Day 11 – Calcutta – Chennai (By flight)

Facts - 
Train station - Darjeeling (UNESCO world heritage mountain train from NJP to Darjeeling)
Nearest train station - New Jalpaiguri (71 km)
Nearest airport - Bagdogara (68 km)

How I reached - 
Booking a flight to Kolkatta might be cheaper than going Bagdogara. Kolkatta is well connected to New Jalpaiguri (NJP) by trains and buses which is the base for Darjeeling/Sikkim. Numerous taxis are available from NJP/Siliguri towards Darjeeling. If you are taking train, AC buses are available from Kolkatta airport to Howrah junction (40 INR per person) from where we can board overnight train to NJP.

1 comment: